O, reason not the need..

hoimo

bengali
In the beginning of a chapter titled' Demand and Consumer behavior' there is a quotation saying

' O, reason not the need
Our basest beggars
Are in the poorest thing
Superfluous.'
- King Lear

I think it says about not the people lacking of resources to meet their needs are poor but those with much wealth are.
Am I thinking right?

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The text is from King Lear, a play by William Shakespeare. The play was written in 1608, so it uses 1608 English. If you want to understand the meaning, you should find a translation in to modern English.

I don't see any words that mean "rich people" in the quote. Here is a modern translation I found online:

Even the poorest beggars have some meager possessions they don’t really “need.”

hoimo

bengali
    The text is from King Lear, a play by William Shakespeare. The play was written in 1608, so it uses 1608 English. If you want to understand the meaning, you should find a translation in to modern English.

I don't see any words that mean "rich people" in the quote. Here is a modern translation I found online:

Even the poorest beggars have some meager possessions they don’t really “need.”
    Thank you, dojibear.

< Previous | Next >