oach - Scottish English? meaning?

aurora068

Croatian
Hello everybody,

I need a little help with one word - a friend asked me if I could check for her the meaning of the word ''oach'' - she heard somewhere it means ''oak'', and that it comes from Scottish English.

Is that correct? :)

• se16teddy

English - England
    I associate the appearance of /χ / and similar consonants in the position of standard English word-final /k/ with Liverpool not Scotland.

[in the dialect or accent of Liverpool] /k/ can turn into an affricate or a fricative, determined mostly by the quality of the preceding vowel. If fricative, a palatal, velar or uvular articulation ([ç, x, χ] respectively) is realised. This is seen distinctively with words like book and clock
    Scouse - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Chasint

English - England
    ... she heard somewhere it means ''oak'', and that it comes from Scottish English.
    We need to know what she means by "somewhere". Did she hear it in Scotland or was a Scottish person speaking? We also require some context: what was the conversation about - did it concern trees and forests or was it a normal conversation about general matters?

Without context, the word could mean many different things, or your friend might have simply mis-heard it.