obscure a message board on the embassy

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
What does "obscure a message board on the embassy" mean? What is "a message board on the embassy"? The Wordreference.com site could be called a message board. So does it imply that there is a site in Cube that discusses everything about the US embassy which is hostile against the US (to obscure such hostility, the poles were erected)? Just a guess.

Thanks in advance

One unproved theory holds that an array of poles and metal awnings in a park adjacent to the U.S. embassy in Havana serves as a system of antennas that are part of a sonic or microwave weapon. Called El Monte de las Banderas (the Mount of Flags), the poles were erected by Cuban authorities to obscure a message board on the embassy that was purportedly conveying objectionable content. Credit: R. Douglas Fields

-Scientific American

Source

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It’s always a good idea to read the article yourself before asking a question and causing us to do it for you. :( Later in the article, it becomes abundantly clear wat is meant by “message board”

Peculiar structure outside the embassy—An array of metal poles and awnings in a park outside the embassy, also in a direct line of sight with the Capri Hotel, was thought to be a possible antenna system for a sonic or microwave weapon. But the structures are simply flag poles erected to obscure an electronic sign on the embassy that formerly flashed information objectionable to Cuban authorities. If it had served as a sonic weapon, “it would affect everyone in the building,” Valdés-Sosa adds.
    Physical message boards existed long before the internet version:D

7958C6EA-DF15-41BB-A7FD-F298F5A6A9D3.jpeg

obscure does mean cover up, block from b=view

v. [~ + object]
    1. to conceal;cover; mask:poets sometimes try to obscure their message.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    Thank you.

Sorry for the inconvenience. But please be noted that if I've not read through the article yet still post a thread, I always suppose that such question would be solved by you native speakers at first sight with no sweat. If not, simply tell me to read more context because that is my task.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Thank you.

Sorry for the inconvenience. But please be noted that if I've not read through the article yet still post a thread, I always suppose that such question would be solved by you native speakers at first sight with no sweat. If not, simply tell me to read more context because that is my task.
    Why not wait until you have completed the article before asking members to spend their time and effort for help with a request for clarification of some part of it?

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    Why not wait until you have completed the article before asking members to spend their time and effort for help with a request for clarification of some part of it?
    It is not possible to read every article or book through.

One important form of reading is simply pick up some passages (of a book or an article) to read.

Sincerely I don't want you or anyone else to spend time and effort to read more context for me. If you find the need to read more context beyond what the OP offers, don't spend your time to read it. Simply tell me to read more context. For I post a thread on the premise that you native speakers may figure it out without effort.

Language Hound

American English
    ...If you find the need to read more context beyond what the OP offers, don't spend your time to read it. Simply tell me to read more context. For I post a thread on the premise that you native speakers may figure it out without effort.
    We are not mind readers and cannot know that you have not bothered to read the whole article! I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly assume and expect that when someone posts a question about something in an article that that person has read the whole article. It is an extreme waste of our time to have to read the article for you only to find the answer clearly spelled out in the following sentence or paragraph. Please read the entire article before posting a question.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    We are not mind readers and cannot know that you have not bothered to read the whole article! I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly assume and expect that when someone posts a question about something in an article that that person has read the whole article. It is an extreme waste of our time to have to read the article for you only to find the answer clearly spelled out in the following sentence or paragraph. Please read the entire article before posting a question.
    As I've said clearly that I sincerely don't require you to read more than the OP, let alone entire article. If you feel the necessity to read the entire article to answer a question, please simply ignore my thread or remind me to read it.

Again, the premise of my posting a thread when I haven't read through the article is that I guess you native speakers can figure out this question like a piece of cake. If my guess is wrong, ignore my thread altogether or remind me to read it.

< Previous | Next >