observating

sonihome2

Español-España, Castellano
Hi everyone,

Does this word exist in English? I've found "observing, observate..." but nothing about "observating". The context is: ....respecting/observing/OBSERVATING the rules....

I'm not trying to find the better way to express that, I just want to know if "observating" exist and its meaning.

If yes, could anybody tell me if is in a Dictionary?

Thankx

Cu.Ta.

• smokeymcpot1988

English (UK)
    No, It does not exist.

You can try perhaps "obeying the rules" or "regarding the rules". these alternatives would make more sense in my opinion.

I hope that helps.

Loob

English UK
    Hi, sonihome2, and welcome to the forums!

No, as others have said: "observate"/"observating" does not exist in present-day English - or if it does, it doesn't deserve to:)

Last edited:

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    "Observating" and "observate" are back-formations (and I would say "errors" as well) that derive from the noun that means "something observed": an observation. I think many people would find the use of "observate" instead of "observe" to be ignorant and ridiculous.

Last edited:

kitenok

I have never heard or read the word observate in my life and I agree with GWB that it is an unnecessary back-formation. However, in the interest of full disclosure, it should be noted that the OED has the following entry for observate:

trans. To observe; spec. to detect by scientific observation.
    There are examples from 1978-1998, including:

1998 New Media Age (Nexis) 30 Apr. 2 Amazon.com had considered creating its own UK operation, but after observating the UK market, decided to partner with Bookpages.

sonihome2

Español-España, Castellano
    Thanks to everyone for your help, specially to GreenWhiteBlue and Kitenok for your interesting explanations.

To summarize: The word "observating" doesn´t exist in english, so it is not in a Dictinary, but has been used due to a back-formation (observe-observation-observate-observating).

Is it correct?.

Cu.Ta.

Cseeger

English
    Hi everyone,

Does this word exist in English? I've found "observing, observate..." but nothing about "observating". The context is: ....respecting/observing/OBSERVATING the rules....

I'm not trying to find the better way to express that, I just want to know if "observating" exist and its meaning.

If yes, could anybody tell me if is in a Dictionary?

Thankx

Cu.Ta.
    I disagree with all the other comments. Observating is indeed a word and I made it up and have been using it for years. Just because it's not the dictionary doesn't mean it's not a word. I use it regularly and define it as follows:

Observating: Critical observation, not as harsh as judgemental observing nor as breezy as unengaged observing. Essentially it's observing with opinions. So for example "I'm not being judgmental ln saying Christmas sems to push all the buttons for women, rather I'm observating." So that observating doesn't pass judgement in the claim of christmas and women, but it does acknowledge that a sort of manipulation taking place"

< Previous | Next >