Obsession/obsessive/obsessed with

Schizophrenic Cat

Turkish
Hi,

I'm trying to find Japanese words that best fit the words in the title (obsession/obsessive/obsessed with, in case the title is changed).

The closest word I could find for obsession seems to be 強迫観念. And it seems to be only ever used as a noun, with no particles to be attached thereto.

Accordingly, I'm left without an option to say obsessive. Of course, we could convey the same meaning with a word in a different word class, but if there's actually an adjective that perfectly mathces ''obsessive'', I'd love to learn it.

The closest phrases I could find for ''to be obsessed with'' seem to be 取りつかれている and 脅迫観念に取りつかれている, while the only examples I saw where the former phrase appeared talked about demon possession and not obsession, and the fact that the latter is a little mouthful leads me to suspicion. The other contestants I found along the way are 夢中になる (which, according to my findings, comes across too light to mean ''obsessed with''), and 頭がいっぱい (which, rather, seems to mean ''to be pre-occupied with'').

Could you help me find natural equivalences (or close enough to be considered so) for these three? Thanks in advance.

• gengo

American English
    I'm trying to find Japanese words that best fit the words in the title (obsession/obsessive/obsessed with, in case the title is changed).

Are you talking about the original meaning of those words, which is generally limited to medical (psychiatric) contexts? Or are you talking about the colloquial meaning (to be obsessed with = to love)?

Schizophrenic Cat

Turkish
    Are you talking about the original meaning of those words, which is generally limited to medical (psychiatric) contexts? Or are you talking about the colloquial meaning (to be obsessed with = to love)?
    Colloquial meanings. Thought the Japanese would use single words that happen to convey both the conceptional meaning and associative meaning, just as we do in English and Turkish. Therefore, I didn't specify that.

gengo

American English
    I think the translation will vary with the specific context. For instance:

I am obsessed with that new TV show.
    その新番組に夢中だ。
    He's obsessed with her homemade pasta.
    彼女の手作りパスタがめちゃ好きだね。
    His obsession is restoring old cars.
    こだわりは旧車のレストア。
    etc.