obsessive gardening

< Previous | Next >

kiku_hana

Vietnamese
Hi all,

Please clarify the phrase for me. Here is a context:

It was easy to get a complex from bringing flowers to my mother's house. He wanted to bring Ashley things she couln't get at home; with my mother's obsessive gaderning, that left very little to choose from.

(That summer, Sarah Dessen, p.57)

Thanks

• Marcos-PS

Portuguese - Brazil
    It was easy to get a complex from bringing flowers to my mother's house. He wanted to bring Ashley things she couln't get at home; with my mother's obsessive gaderning, that left very little to choose from.

Thanks
    I have understood that, different from before, the mother is too much obsessive for gardening that it has become difficult to please her or offer her something new to her set of flowers at home, as if she has already cultivated any conceivable species of flowers :)

Regards!

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    There is background missing that would be useful here.

Who is Ashley? Who is "he"?

If Ashley is the mother's name, the above interpretation seems likely.

It is also possible that Ashley is the daughter's name. In this case, his problem is that the mother is providing flowers ~ a customary gift to bring a woman. He has to think of something else.

Once we know who these people are, it may turn out that the sentence means some third thing.

Remember, providing context includes a description of what is happening in your own words, in addition to a quotation of the text. (See Context and Background.)

< Previous | Next >