Obstreperous

DDT

Italy - Italian
Hi everyone!

I'm wondering about the meaning of this sentence: "I'm sure there's some sort of postal service than cat get across the glaciers when they get obstreperous".

Thanks for helping

DDT

• jacinta

USA English
    DDT said:
    Hi everyone!

I'm wondering about the meaning of this sentence: "I'm sure there's some sort of postal service than cat get across the glaciers when they get obstreperous".

Thanks for helping

DDT

Okay, now this is a real puzzle. First of all, I think cat is a typo, right? It should read can get across the glaciers...I'm not sure what is being refered to as being obstreperous, the glaciers? Is this the same book with the guy and his hiking spike??? Obstreperous means boisterous or unmanageable. Now, I had to look that up having never heard that word before. But I can imagine glaciers being loud and unmanageable when they are moving or breaking apart, right? And the writer is concerned with the postal service getting across the glaciers when they are doing so.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    DDT said:
    Hi everyone!

Thanks for helping

DDT
    Hola DDT!

I've heard and even used the adjective before, but only if reference to people and their boisterous--as Jacinta noted-- and argumentative behaviour.
    I suggest you put this author into a linguistic holding pattern until you discover the code to his pickling of English.

"Hairy haddock!", he exclaimed, throwing the altimeter into the fishtank.

While I was initially tempted to agree with Jacinta re obstreperous referring to the glaciers, I cannot help but remember that postal service delivery is often thought of as glacially slow......

"Moldy mackeral!", yelled the artic explorer, as he sank beneath the frigid waters.

saludos,
    Cuchu

jacinta

USA English
    cuchufléte said:
    Hola DDT!

I've heard and even used the adjective before, but only if reference to people and their boisterous--as Jacinta noted-- and argumentative behaviour.
    I suggest you put this author into a linguistic holding pattern until you discover the code to his pickling of English.

"Hairy haddock!", he exclaimed, throwing the altimeter into the fishtank.

While I was initially tempted to agree with Jacinta re obstreperous referring to the glaciers, I cannot help but remember that postal service delivery is often thought of as glacially slow......

"Moldy mackeral!", yelled the artic explorer, as he sank beneath the frigid waters.

saludos,
    Cuchu
    This is too hilarious!!!!!!! I love it. I also love your new (to me) signature!

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    jacinta said:
    This is too hilarious!!!!!!! I love it. I also love your new (to me) signature!
    I'm glad I'm not the only one still laughing from DDT's original pickled altimeter.
    I found the quote in an article in an Argentine newspaper, announcing a new
    Diccionario de dudas, soon to be published by the RAE. It was too good, and too true, to leave there.

Un saludo
    Cuchu

DDT

Italy - Italian
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    :D
    Hilarious is not enough, Chu! That's terribly funny!

I apologize for the two typo mistakes. The right sentence is: "I'm sure there's some sort of postal service that can get across the glaciers when they get obstreperous" (but you understood it anyway! ;) ).
    Since I found the same meaning I was wondering whether it makes sense or not :confused:
    Anyway the character pronouncing the phrase happens to be mangling his own words every now and then, so that let me ask you if there exists any other adjective sounding more or less as "obstreperous" and being susceptible of pickling the altimeter of this damned phrase!!! (I do need a sense for it...)

DDT

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hi DDT,

Seems we agree, for better or worse, that obstreperous refers to the mail deliverers and not the glaciers. Thank heavens for that. I've been having nightmares about
    ice floes with long-neck beer bottles in hand, dancing the tarantella, then consuming my little defenseless village.

Here are some adjectives to help you 'get a sense for it'. These don't pretend to be exact translations.

rambunctious--unruly, active in an uncontrolled way
    energized- I'm using this based on the context. If the postal service people get 'their asses in gear', or highly energetic and motivated, perhaps they can carry to love letter from Matilda to Ebenezer, or deliver the overdue electric bill to Amundsen and Perry at the South Pole.

Other choices include -- stimulated, arroused [no, not THAT way!], invigorated.

Please let us know who wrote the book and what it's called. The style seems like that of Tom Robbins on purple pills, with a Kurt Vonnegut dressing.

"Well fricasee my parakeet," he said, spitting feathers onto the glacial moraine.

saludos,
    Cuchu

DDT

Italy - Italian
    Hola Chu, you did help me!;)
    I'm glad your nightmares are finally over (!!!), yet personally...how will I manage to pickle altimeters, being sprayed among invigorated moraines, fricasseed parakeets and not-obstreporous glaciers?????????????? :D

DDT

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    DDT said:
    Hola Chu, you did help me!;)
    I'm glad your nightmares are finally over (!!!), yet personally...how will I manage to pickle altimeters, being sprayed among invigorated moraines, fricasseed parakeets and not-obstreporous glaciers?????????????? :D

DDT
    Just tell us all who wrote the book, and I promise not to let the fried bird bother you.

stuck in a holding pattern over the artic,
    Cuchu

lercarafridi

Spain, Spanish
    DDT said:
    Hi everyone!

Thanks for helping

DDT
    There must be a kind of mailman capable or fighting the most hostile glaciers
    :)

What do you think?

lercarafridi

Spain, Spanish
    DDT said:
    Well, actually not that much...should it? ;)

DDT
    I think it should. Lercara Friddi is a Sicilian villa which grew notorious in the past century –mainly by 1950s- for being the hometown of LUCKY LUCIANO, an exile American gangster who pretended to have been born in the States until immigration authorities found out the truth.
    :) :)

lercarafridi

Spain, Spanish
    DDT said:
    BANG BANG!!! (Intimidation shots...)
    I wasn't aware of the origins of notorious Lucky Luciano! ;)
    BANG BANG!!!

DDT
    Yes, did you hear about him? By the way, what is the meaning of LERCARA FRIDDI or FRIDI? Is there any suitable translation into English? Thanks. :)

< Previous | Next >