obstructions in that bowel from a growth

< Previous | Next >

pordiosero

Árabe-Dariya
Hola.

¿Cuál es el sentido de "GROWTH" aquí?

1. Crecimiento (por ejemplo tumoral).

2. Crecimiento del paciente (refiriéndose a una obstrucción antigua desde la niñez).

Further, we have to consider that there could be obstructions in that bowel from a growth and that to expect anything to happen immediately from the colema and from the tissue cleansing treatment may be unrealistic.

• ChemaSaltasebes

Castellano (España)
    Agree with Conchita.
    And specific context would obviously help, no matter what.

Note though that although "growth" and "tumor" almost inevitably make one think of a neoplasm (a benign or malign neoplastic mass), neither "growth" nor "tumor" are necessarily referring to neoplasms.
    And so, without any more context in this case, I'd go with (the safer option) tumor ("tumor") rather than with neoplasm ("neoplasma") here.

Tumor vs. neoplasm
    The word tumor has two primary meanings, a mass, regardless of whether it is neoplastic or not, or a neoplastic mass. Neoplasm is preferred since it is less ambiguous than tumor.

AbogadoPeter

English - USA (medical & legal)
    I disagree with the distinction. A neoplasm is a new growth, literally, and a tumor. In the limited context of a "growth" obstructing the intestine, that sounds like a neoplasm by definition. However, it may be that neither tumor nor neoplasm nor mass (bulto) may be appropriate if this turns out to refer to, for instance, a cystic body or abscess.

"General Concepts
    Neoplasia, which literally means “new growth,” is the process of excessive and uncontrolled cell proliferation (Kumar et al., 2010). The new growth is called a neoplasm or tumor (i.e., a swelling, since most neoplasms are expansile, solid masses of abnormal tissue). Tumors are either benign (when their pathologic characteristics and clinical behavior are relatively innocent) or malignant (meaning harmful, often deadly)."
    Neoplastic Cell - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

"neoplasm
    (NEE-oh-PLA-zum)
    An abnormal mass of tissue that forms when cells grow and divide more than they should or do not die when they should. Neoplasms may be benign (not cancer) or malignant (cancer). Benign neoplasms may grow large but do not spread into, or invade, nearby tissues or other parts of the body. Malignant neoplasms can spread into, or invade, nearby tissues. They can also spread to other parts of the body through the blood and lymph systems. Also called tumor."
    NCI Dictionary of Cancer Terms

ChemaSaltasebes

Castellano (España)
    Hi Peter,
    I agree that particularly within the given context, neoplasm (or tumor with this meaning) is a good guess. But as long as the original does not explicitly say neoplasm, I'd rather use a term that is as ambiguous as the original "growth" -unless the context is clear so as to what it does specifically convey. Both a cyst and an abscess could be described as tumores (as any tumefacción, aumento de tamaño o hinchazón de carácter patológico).

And so tumor, following your own logic, is a good option, as it could be read as neoplasm, but it does not close the options to read it also as merely an inflammatory growth or other.

< Previous | Next >