Obtain (synonym)

< Previous | Next >

mrswordf1sh

turkish
Hello,

Sentence: Millions of tones of wood are processed in woody industries every year and thus significant amount of wood waste is obtained.

I need to find another verb instead of ''obtained''. Obtaining is doing something intentionally to get results, but in this sentence, we get wood waste unwillingly.

Please suggest me another verb instead of ''obtain''.

Second question is if ''thus'' is used correctly in this sentence.

Thank you.

• boozer

Bulgarian
    You could go with 'generate'. :)

PS. 'Thus' is used correctly, but there is an indefinite article missing a little later. Guess where. :D
    PPS. By the way, you also need to decide if you measure waste in 'tons' or 'tones'. :) I thought Giorgio Spizzi would have mentioned that while proofreading for you.

Last edited:

mrswordf1sh

turkish
    Yes, "generated" sounds good.

There are some problems with your sentence, mrswordf1sh, but we cannot discuss them here, on account of the "one-question-per-thread rule".
    You could go with 'generate'. :)

PS. 'Thus' is used correctly, but there is an indefinite article missing a little later. Guess where. :D
    PPS. By the way, you also need to decide if you measure waste in 'tons' or 'tones'. :) I thought Giorgio Spizzi would have mentioned that while proofreading for you.

Copyright

American English
    To clarify our rules a bit, minor adjustments may be made to a sentence that otherwise meets our requirement for "sentence and specific question.

Millions of tons/tonnes of wood are processed in the wood industries every year and a significant amount of wood waste is generated.

mrswordf1sh

turkish
    To clarify our rules a bit, minor adjustments may be made to a sentence that otherwise meets our requirement for "sentence and specific question.

Millions of tons/tonnes of wood are processed in the wood industries every year and a significant amount of wood waste is generated.
    Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Packard

USA, English
    It would require a recasting of the sentence, but "by-product" would work.

Millions of tones of wood are processed in woody industries every year and thus significant amount of wood waste is obtained.

The by-product of processing millions of tons of wood in the timber industries each year is a significant amount of wood waste.

Note: I am not sure "wood waste" is a suitable term. All the wood is utilized in some manner or other; either in the production of composite wood panels (particle board, medium density fiberboard) or in the production of paper.

The millions of tons of timber processed each year yields significant amounts of wood by-products.

< Previous | Next >