Occitan: Situada a la broa del riu Tamèsi

Armins

Latvian
Could anyone tell me what language this sentence is in? :
"Situada a la broa del riu Tamèsi dins lo sud-èst de l'illa de Grand Bretanha."

It's from a Wikipedia dump. I know some (Catalonian) Catalan and have no problem understanding the sentence, so I have a suspicion that it may be Valencian or possibly Balearic.

Many thanks

• merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    It's definitely Catalan. I believe it's Valencian dialect because of the "dins lo". The spelling is a bit different, outdated from what I would expect today. I think it could be an old sentence.

sound shift

English - England
    It has a Catalan look about it, but the Catalan for Great Britain is "Gran Bretanya", not "Grand Bretanha". Like merquiades, I wonder if it is old Catalan, but I would not be surprised if it was Occitan instead. For one thing, "grand" (as opposed to "gran") gives it a Gallic look. Additionally, the Catalan for the River Thames carries a written accent on the first syllable, not on the second (as here).

Last edited:

merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    It has a Catalan look about it, but the Catalan for Great Britain is "Gran Bretanya", not "Grand Bretanha". Like merquiades, I wonder if it is old Catalan, but I would not be surprised if it was Occitan instead. For one thing, "grand" (as opposed to "gran") gives it a Gallic look. Additionally, the Catalan for the River Thames carries a written accent on the first syllable, not on the second (as here).

Bravo. I found the full original wikipedia link if you all want to have a look at it. http://oc.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Reialme_Unit
    It's definitely Occitan. I had no idea that language was so close to Catalan. That nh combination seems common.

Last edited:

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    "Nh" for "ny" is a typically (medieval) Occitan spelling. Occitan and Catalan are closely related.

Armins

Latvian
    Yes, it IS Occitan.

Many thanks.

(I should have said it was from Wikipedia, so it couldn't have been "old" anything.)