oceans to dive

JungKim

Korean
Here is from a description of a game called Grand Theft Auto V:
The world is not only huge, it’s packed with a vast array of things to see and do: cars to customise; planes to fly; clothes to buy; sports to play; nirvanas to pursue; oceans to dive; animals to spot, hunt and be hunted by; freaks to watch, meet and befriend; bounties to hunt; and on and on.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/gta-5-gameplay-trailer-launches#UmzL5zdQ1OWpIkRp.99
Is it correct to say "oceans to dive" instead of, say, "oceans to dive in"?

• gramman

You can dive oceans, I suppose the same way you climb mountains and hike trails. I think the grammatical rule/guidance here can be found in the idea that dive is, according the WRF dictionary for instance, "mainly intransitive." How to decide when you're involved with part of "mainly" is unclear (to me at least). (You can also avoid horrible video games.)

+++++

"dive the Caribbean" on Google

Last edited:

gramman

Once again, I failed to read (anything close to) carefully. That same WRF entry includes:
    (also tr) to fly (an aircraft) in a steep nose-down descending path, or (of an aircraft) to fly in such a path

(also tr; followed by in or into) to dip or put (one's hand) quickly or forcefully (into)

usually followed by in or into: to involve oneself (in something), as in eating food

JungKim

Korean
    No, it's not correct. But I wouldn't rely on descriptions of video games for examples of correct English.
    FYI, the description is actually what has been transcribed from a promo video for the video game.
    Rockstar Games, the maker of the video game, is based in New York City and has probably hired some professionals to produce the promo. And I don't understand how it can be any worse than, say, a movie trailer having some descriptions of a movie.

Last edited:

gramman

>>the maker of the video game … has probably hired some professionals to produce the promo

Parla wasn't suggesting that this wording is unprofessional, just improper grammatically. In other words, they surely made a conscious decision to use dive intransitively in this context (going down underwater). I'm thinking this may be one of those things where so many people now use it this way, perhaps it can be argued that this has become an acceptable use.

< Previous | Next >