odd family photo

anti_freaks

Japanese
Hi there,

I'm wondering what "odd family photo" means.:eek:
It's from here

Looking it up in the dictionary, "odd" has a meaning of "various".
Is it what it stands for in this phrase?
If yes, why not odd family photos?

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Anti Freaks. I took a look at your source, which contains a lot of text. Please simply quote the sentence in which you found the phrase. That makes it a lot easier for people to answer your question. Asking other members to read paragraphs of material to find your example is too much. Thank you. :)

anti_freaks

Japanese
    Hello, Anti Freaks. I took a look at your source, which contains a lot of text. Please simply quote the sentence in which you found the phrase. That makes it a lot easier for people to answer your question. Asking other members to read paragraphs of material to find your example is too much. Thank you. :)
    :DSorry owlman. Here it is.

1805 "There is little left but roofs piled high, the wooden shards of the homes ripped up, and the odd family photo protruding from the mud," says our correspondent. "The aftershocks go on, there is snow and it is getting colder and the thousands cut off have a daily battle just to live."

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    Thank you, Anti Freaks. :) "The odd family photo" means that occasionally you will find a photo among all the debris. This is a fairly unusual expression that people use to mean that it's possible to find a few examples of something among many other things: On Market Street you'll find hundreds of fast-food places and the odd ethnic restaurant. Here, the "odd ethnic restaurant" means that there are a few ethnic restaurants among hundreds of fast-food restaurants.

Does that make sense? There were a few family photos in that huge mess.

anti_freaks

Japanese
    Thank you, Anti Freaks. :) "The odd family photo" means that occasionally you will find a photo among all the debris. This is a fairly unusual expression that people use to mean that it's possible to find a few examples of something among many other things: On Market Street you'll find hundreds of fast-food places and the odd ethnic restaurant. Here, the "odd ethnic restaurant" means that there are a few ethnic restaurants among hundreds of fast-food restaurants.

Does that make sense? There were a few family photos in that huge mess.
    I see.
    Thank you very much, owlman:D
    It's very considerate to have another example from you.:)

Hermione Golightly

British English
    'Odd' is a very useful word in common use with several meanings. This 'here and there', 'now and then', 'occasional', 'few', is possibly one of the less common meanings. It looks so strange - "odd" one might say- and somehow so ancient.

Hermione

< Previous | Next >