oder ... oder

fabinn

Italiano
Hello everybody, I'd like to know the meaning of "oder ... oder" in this sentence:
"C vernachlässigbar klein oder in der Ausführung PS61 oder Typenreihe PS62"
has it to be intended like both of them, that's to say C is negligible in both cases, or only in one version? I'm a little confuse...

• piccolacoco

Italian
    Hi Bahiano, I have to say that I didn't know "entweder... oder..." :eek:
    This is the first time I have to delay with this construction in German:)

Thank you for your correction:D

piccolacoco

berndf

German (Germany)
    The sentence fragment is too small to tell. All you can tell is that there seems to be some sort of a case distinction hierarchy:
    A or B; if B then C or D

Last edited:

fabinn

Italiano
    I'm sorry to tell that the mentioned "oder... oder..." construction doesn't exist in german.
    Ciao Bahiano, e grazie! You say that this construction doesn't exist in German, but this sentence was written in a technical document from a german business enterprise: is it possible that this construction is allowed in a technical language? Is it possible that the meaning in this case is "both of them"? (like in italian "sia ... sia")

berndf

German (Germany)
    Ciao Bahiano, e grazie! You say that this construction doesn't exist in German, but this sentence was written in a technical document from a german business enterprise: is it possible that this construction is allowed in a technical language? Is it possible that the meaning in this case is "both of them"? (like in italian "sia ... sia")
    No, that isn't possible. See my note above.

Last edited:
    No (as Bernd already stated)!
    "sia.. sia..." = "both... and..." = "sowohl... als auch..."

Thomas W.

Deutsch
    I fail to see the problem.
    "oder" means "or".
    A oder B oder C (oder D oder E ...) means "one of A, B, C, (D, E ...)".
    Isn't it the same in English?

berndf

German (Germany)
    I fail to see the problem.
    "oder" means "or".
    A oder B oder C (oder D oder E ...) means "one of A, B, C, (D, E ...)".
    The question remains why it is "A oder B oder C" rather than "A, B oder C". The answer is that the "oder"s apply to different levels of enumeration of possibilities:
    /
    .\
    A
    ../.\
    ..B.C
    rather than:
    /|\
    ABC

What is meant precisely cannot be determined from this short fragment.
    Isn't it the same in English?
    In English yes. In the OP's native Italian it is a bit different. If you want to say "either A or B" you say (literally translated) "or A or B". He wanted to know, if "oder" occurring twice could be something of the sort (and we told him it couldn't).

Last edited:

gvergara

Español
    Also, wäre der folgende Satz falsch auf Deutsch? Ihn habe ich in einem Roman, der ein deutschsprachiger Schriftsteller geschrieben hat.

"Was geschieht mit den Vögeln, wenn der See zugreforen ist?", fragte Agnes einmal.
    "Ich glaube nicht, dass er ganz zufriert", sagte ich, "oder die Tierschützer schlagen Löcher ins Eis oder füttern die Vögel. Ich weiß es nicht."

Aus "Agnes" von Peter Stamm

Danke im Voraus,

Gonzalo

berndf

German (Germany)
    Also, wäre der folgende Satz falsch auf Deutsch? Ihn habe ich in einem Roman, der ein deutschsprachiger Schriftsteller geschrieben hat.

"Was geschieht mit den Vögeln, wenn der See zugreforen ist?", fragte Agnes einmal.
    "Ich glaube nicht, dass er ganz zufriert", sagte ich, "oder die Tierschützer schlagen Löcher ins Eis oder füttern die Vögel. Ich weiß es nicht."

Aus "Agnes" von Peter Stamm

Danke im Voraus,

Gonzalo
    Der Satz enummeriert drei Möglichkeiten:

1. Der See friert nicht ganz zu
    oder [wenn er doch zufriert]​
    2. die Tierschützer schlagen Löcher ins Eis
    oder [wenn sie das nicht tun]​
    3. die Tierschützer füttern die Vögel.

Es handelt sich also um dieselbe Struktur, die ich hier beschrieben habe:
    /.\
    A...