of lumbering make

< Previous | Next >

sami33

arabic
Hi

I think "lumber" in this context means "move in a slow, heavy, awkward way". Am I right? And, what does the whole expression mean?

'I'm Mister Noah Claypole,' said the charity-boy, 'and you're under me. Take down the shutters, yer idle young ruffian!' With this, Mr. Claypole administered a kick to Oliver, and entered the shop with a dignified air, which did him great credit. It is difficult for a large-headed, small-eyed youth, of lumbering make and heavy countenance, to look dignified under any circumstances; but it is more especially so, when superadded to these personal attractions are a red nose and yellow smalls.

Source: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. Chapter 05
Thank you very much in advance

• mplsray

The Oxford English Dictionary has the following under the entry "make, n.2"

[I. 1.] b. Of a natural object: form or composition, structure, constitution; build of body, physique, esp. of a pedigree horse or dog (freq. in make and shape).
    I have to wonder whether Dickens was using make with the idea of comparing the person in question to a horse. The OED does not have any examples of make unambiguously applied to a man's physique after an 1821 cite from Byron's Don Juan.

< Previous | Next >