of who/of whom/of which

< Previous | Next >

Amu

Mandarin, Español
In the following sentence is it correct the use of "of which"?

He knows personally miss xxx, identification number xxx, and of which he can say that xxx is an honest person.

Correct my English please

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    We don't use "which" to refer to people. If I understand your sentence correctly, you need to say "of whom."

If the "which" is meant to refer to the identification number, then you need to rephrase your sentence.

Amu

Mandarin, Español
    Which part is not grammatically correct, can you please tell me?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "...(A)nd of whom he can say that..." doesn't follow grammatically from "He personally knows Miss X..."

Please provide some context for the sentence, and explain what it is you are trying to say. What significance does the identification number have?

Amu

Mandarin, Español
    It is from a letter of recommendation of a teacher. I think that the teacher mentioned the identification number to assure the identity of the student. I am trying to correct it, but my english is poor so I really do not how to correct that sentence.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    So, what do you think he is trying to say in the sentence? That he knows Miss X personally and can vouch for her honesty?

Amu

Mandarin, Español
    Yes, you are right. He wants to say he knows her very well and can assure her honesty.

< Previous | Next >