off Abbot Kinney

JuriTerreni

Chinese-China
From TV series<Casual>,

And here's the lovely backyard. So then I had this little place OFF Abbot Kinney. Thought I'd do the whole surf-bum thing, but it turns out I don't like surfers or bums.

So I know Abbot Kinney is a conservationist, what does "off" mean here? Thank you.

• JustKate

"Abbot Kinney" is being used to indicate a place here. There seems to be a road with that name in Los Angeles - does that fit with the context? If so, the character is saying that he had a home/apartment/whatever near Abbott Kinney Boulevard. It wasn't actually on that road, but it was on a different road just a few blocks away (or "off") Abbott Kinney.

JuriTerreni

Chinese-China
    "Abbot Kinney" is being used to indicate a place here. There seems to be a road with that name in Los Angeles - does that fit with the context? If so, the character is saying that he had a home/apartment/whatever near Abbott Kinney Boulevard. It wasn't actually on that road, but it was on a different road just a few blocks away (or "off") Abbott Kinney.
    Yes, the story is in L.A. Thank you.

JamesM

Abbott Kinney is a street that runs through Venice, California, a famous beach community in Los Angeles just south of Santa Monica. The street is named after the man who developed the area he called "The Venice of America", a neighborhood with small canals.

canal-venice-1-small.png

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >