offal

< Previous | Next >
  • se16teddy

English - England
    Techically maybe, in so far as the food in the pictures come from animals' internal organs. However, 'Offal' comes from an old English word meaning 'waste', and use of the word 'offal' suggests that the food in question has a low status; whereas the items in your pictures are clearly carefully prepared delicacies.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    What curious questions:)

The first picture includes some "bits" that might be offal, but also some that are definitely not.

Offal, to my mind, is any kind of animal stuff that is meant to be eaten but is not muscle (or fat).

The sausages in the first picture may be enclosed in intestine, but should, and I say should, contain real meat.
    The black puding would not, of course.

Sorry, I can't access the second picture.

paradespejardudas

Spanish, Argentina
    Techically maybe, in so far as the food in the pictures come from animals' internal organs. They do. However, 'Offal' comes from an old English word meaning 'waste', and use of the word 'offal' suggests that the food in question has a low status; whereas the items in your pictures are clearly carefully prepared delicacies. They are!

paradespejardudas

Spanish, Argentina
    What curious questions:) This is eaten quite often here in Argentina

The first picture includes some "bits" that might be offal, but also some that are definitely not. Definitely. That's the best picture I could get :(

Offal, to my mind, is any kind of animal stuff that is meant to be eaten but is not muscle (or fat).

The sausages in the first picture may be enclosed in intestine, but should, and I say should, contain real meat.
    The black puding would not, of course.

Sorry, I can't access the second picture.

I love offal - heart, liver, kidneys, tripe, and giblets from fowl (the latter are the base of an excellent gravy when cooked with shallots and chicken stock).

My mother told me that as an infant I was very partial to lambs' brains. The very thought disgusts me.

For those who enjoy a Chinese "Pancake Roll", I am told (by a Chinese chef of my aquaintance) that these are filled with bean sprouts and bits of chopped up chickens heads and claws. :eek: I no longer eat them.

The same goes for black pudding. I used to enjoy it many years ago, apart from the lumps of fat in it. I don't eat it any more.

I'm very partial to haggis which is a mélange of all sorts of offal enclosed in a sheep's stomach membrane. Yummy!

LRV

< Previous | Next >