Office greeting phrases

kyn

Vietnamese
I would like to know some common phrases used at the office:
- Before leaving the office for home, how would you say to your boss? Is "お先にしつれいします" or "さようなら" OK? Or maybe both?
- When talking with a customer on the phone, before hanging up, what should I say? I want to say something like "have a good day, goodbye". In Japan, how would you say things like that?
- When you encounter your boss, say, in the hallway, elevator... what would you say to him? Is "こんにちは" OK (I feel a little awkward saying the same "こんにちは" everytime I meet my boss? Or should you just bow your head?
Thanks so much

• uchi.m

Banned
    Brazil, Portuguese
    Hello kyn,

My advices are enclosed in the quote below, in blue.

- Before leaving the office for home, how would you say to your boss? Is "お先にしつれいします":tick: or "さようなら" OK? Or maybe both? After your saying, people will usually reply with おつかれさまです
    - When talking with a customer on the phone, before hanging up, what should I say? I want to say something like "have a good day, goodbye". In Japan, how would you say things like that? You say 失礼いたします
    - When you encounter your boss, say, in the hallway, elevator... what would you say to him? Is "こんにちは" OK (I feel a little awkward saying the same "こんにちは" everytime I meet my boss? Or should you just bow your head? I think you don't need to greet nor bow further after your first meet early in the morning, but I am not sure
    Let's wait for native speakers' opinions.

Oka-chan

Japanese
    Hi

- Before leaving the office ...
    When we leave earlier than our boss or co-worker, we say "おさきにしつれいします"
    When we leave the office with our boss or co-worker, we say "おつかれさまでした"
    We don't say "さよなら" in office

- When talking with a customer on the phone, before hanging up ...
    We don't say like "have a good day". Just say "しつれいします".

- When you encounter your boss,
    I think in Vietnam you say "Xin chao" at any time , but in Japanese the greet depends on time
    In morning, we say "おはようございます"
    In noon or afternoon, we say "こんにちは"
    In evening or night, we say"こんばんは"
    Anyway, we say first time I see them in the day.
    Next time we just bow our head.

I hope it will your help.

SpiceMan

Castellano, Argentina
    As for a greeting while at work, you can use "おつかれさまです". Specially in the afternoon (and even if there are several hours of work yet!).

I had learn that it was when leaving, but truth is chances are you end up saying it several times a day at work.

papapa

Japan, Japanese
    Interestingly enough, I have never used さようなら after I graduated from junior high.

I used さようなら to teachers when I was a student (showing respect), but not to friends nor to boss.
    さようなら means more than just a good-bye, almost like "adieu" out of school.

- When you encounter your boss,
    I think あ、どうも or どうも is a convinient word.

You can say it anytime, and it would be nice to bow a little, almost like a nod, when saying it.

papapa

Japan, Japanese
    どうも is a short word for a lot of phrases,
    such as,
    1どうも(失礼いたします。)
    2どうも(ありがとうございました。)
    3どうも(こんにちわ。)
    4どうも(お久しぶりです。)
    ....etc

so, the meaning of どうも depends on the context. (You referred to number 2!!)
    and in the case of encounter, どうも would be a short word for どうも(こんにちわ).

But I suggest you ask your colleagues if it is okay to say どうも to your boss,
    coz using どうも depends on the atmosphere of your office and your relationship with your boss.

< Previous | Next >