Officer, without the toll, you shall not pass!

Ivette1891

English
Here is my attempt:

Herr polizist Ohne dir Maut, Du kannst
nicht verbei!
I got the translation for the phrase, 'you shall not pass' from another thread on this forum. I would appreciate any help

It's a caption for a piece of fantasy art that features a very ugly troll. Here is a link to the picture I am trying to caption:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/509399407824085591/

Does anyone have a German Copy of the first Lord of the Rings book handy? How was the phrase, "You shall not pass!" translated there? Which translation should I go with?

Or is it not worth translating the phrase " you shall not pass"

Last edited by a moderator:
  • perpend

Banned
    American English
    I'm not the best Googler, but I found this on Google.de ....

Unfreiwillig komisch wird es dass am kurz bevor man den Balrog besiegt Gandalf seinen prägnanten Satz spricht "You shall not pass" - Bzw. im Deutschen dann "Du darfst nicht vorbei"... Die Kapitel sind recht geschickt gestalte so dass man an allen Schauplätzen vorbei kommt und mehr oder weniger Kämpfen muss.

http://www.amazon.de/product-reviews/B000A6QXXM

If the site is correct (the German doesn't sound good---maybe it was written in a hurry): Du darfst nicht vorbei

I'm not sure about the part with "Maut". I would personally leave it out. It's "die Maut", by the way ("Ohne die Maut ..."). Actually, I don't think you need the "die". Ohne Maut, darfst du nicht vorbei. But, that changes the word order. Why do you want to use "Maut" at all, when it's not part of the original?

EDIT: I guess it you are going for creative, I thought of this alternative. Mautstelle! Du darfst nicht vorbei.

Last edited:

Ivette1891

English
    I'm not the best Googler, but I found this on Google.de ....

Unfreiwillig komisch wird es dass am kurz bevor man den Balrog besiegt Gandalf seinen prägnanten Satz spricht "You shall not pass" - Bzw. im Deutschen dann "Du darfst nicht vorbei"... Die Kapitel sind recht geschickt gestalte so dass man an allen Schauplätzen vorbei kommt und mehr oder weniger Kämpfen muss.

http://www.amazon.de/product-reviews/B000A6QXXM

If the site is correct (the German doesn't sound good---maybe it was written in a hurry): Du darfst nicht vorbei

I'm not sure about the part with "Maut". I would personally leave it out. It's "die Maut", by the way ("Ohne die Maut ..."). Actually, I don't think you need the "die". Ohne Maut, darfst du nicht vorbei. But, that changes the word order. Why do you want to use "Maut" at all, when it's not part of the original?

EDIT: I guess it you are going for creative, I thought of this alternative. Mautstelle! Du darfst nicht vorbei.
    thank you! I was not going for an exact translation of the original as my German is limited.

Also the caption in the link refers to a gang that, if I remember right, does not operate in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schlabberlatz

German - Germany
    My suggestion: "Ohne Wegezoll kommst du hier nicht vorbei". The modern word "Maut" would make you think of trucks, not of people.

< Previous | Next >