Oh my god, I've just jumped and I don't have any parachute!

< Previous | Next >

Staarkali

Hi all,

how do you colloquially translate the following sentence:
"oh my god, I've just jumped and I don't have any parachute !"

here is my try:
"天啊,我跳过了,我可没带降落伞!"

Thanks in advance!

• zhg

Chinese
    What about 天啊,我跳下去才发现没带降落伞.Although it's not a word-to-word translation.

Assuming the case is that you've just jumped out of a helicopter and found out that you didn't bring along your parachute,If so, I think the use of 跳过 is inapproriate because it gives the impression of jumping over something (or maybe you mean 跳过头?) rather than a downward action.

And I don't know if it was your typo or maybe it was not. Anyway, note that 可我 and 我可 are used differently. If I am not mistaken, I believe you mean 可我(a shorter version of 可是我).

Your choice of words "我可" suggests something different, and it doesn't seem to fit the context.

lyx1692

汉语
    Can you give us some context. I don't understand this sentence even in English.
    Who will jump if he don't have any parachute in the plane?
    In my opinion, Your sentences is grammatically correct, but sounds meaningless.
    Mabe it's a joke? or slang I don't know?
    Please give more context, or we can't help you.

维尼爱蜂蜜

chinese
    your translation is nice, except i think 我跳下去了 is better than 我跳过了。
    the original sentence sounds like you realized it in the process of descending. but if you say 跳过了,it's more like the action has finished and you have landed already.

SuperXW

What about 天啊,我跳下去才发现没带降落伞.Although it's not a word-to-word translation.

Assuming the case is that you've just jumped out of a helicopter and found out that you didn't bring along your parachute,If so, I think the use of 跳过 is inapproriate because it gives the impression of jumping over something (or maybe you mean 跳过头?) rather than a downward action.

And I don't know if it was your typo or maybe it was not. Anyway, note that 可我 and 我可 are used differently. If I am not mistaken, I believe you mean 可我(a shorter version of 可是我).

Your choice of words "我可" suggests something different, and it doesn't seem to fit the context.
    Staarkali, Your major problem is how should we translate "I've just jumped".
    我跳过了 is wrong. People usually say this after they have done the jump successfully, kind of like the past perfect tense.
    我跳下去才发现没带降落伞: I don't suggest this either. It's a narrative sentence. You say this to tell a story only AFTER the whole story has finished. However, "oh my god, I've just jumped and I don't have any parachute!" the emergency is happening NOW! You are now in the air, I suppose.
    If you are in the air now, 跳下来 would be better than 跳下去. 跳下来 stresses on where you are now, while 跳下去 stresses where you were just now.
    I agree with zhg's suggestion on 我可.

My translation: 天啊!我刚刚跳下来了,可我没有降落伞!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >