Oh no, thanks, at least, not that I know of—’

ArielPalomo

Español - Español rioplatense
Estoy traduciendo "Smith: an Episode in a Lodgning House" de Algernon Blackwood. En el cuento, el protagonista, un joven estudiante de medicina que se hospeda en una pensión, recibe una inesperada visita de su vecino, quien realiza actividades extrañas en el piso de arriba. Una noche, entra a la habitación del protagonista y esta conversación tiene lugar:

—I hope —he whispered—, I hope you are never disturbed at night.
—Eh? —I stammered— Disturbed at night? Oh no, thanks, at least, not that I know of...
—I’m glad —he replied gravely, appearing not to notice my confusion and surprise at his question—. But, remember, should it ever be the case, please let me know at once.

No comprendo la respuesta del protagonista. ¿Qué quiere decir? ¿Por qué le agradece?

• rajulbat

English - United States (Houston)
    —I hope —he whispered—, I hope you are never disturbed at night.
    —Eh? —I stammered— Disturbed at night? Oh no, thanks, at least, not that I know of...
    —I’m glad —he replied gravely, appearing not to notice my confusion and surprise at his question—. But, remember, should it ever be the case, please let me know at once.

No comprendo la respuesta del protagonista. ¿Qué quiere decir? ¿Por qué le agradece?
    Quiere decir "Oh, no, gracias, por lo menos, que yo sepa, no..."
    Le agradece solamente por su preocupación.

gengo

American English

I understand your confusion. It is rather unusual to say "not that I know of" when asked if something has disturbed you. You either were disturbed or not, and you know which.

My guess is that the speaker means that maybe he was awakened during the night by sounds from above, but he was not fully awake and does not remember any such awakening now.

As for "thanks," I suppose he is thanking the person for inquiring about whether the sounds were a problem.

Last edited: