Oi, slag-chops

Gepiept

Hello, in "Humans", Mattie, Toby's sister turned off the TV; her brother said to her: "Oi, slag-chops, I'm watching that!", and she responded: "Watch it in your room, knob-cock" - what does "slag-chops" mean? Thank you!

• Gepiept

It's good that it's not a Spanish expression, as we would sometimes call a "fierce" woman "a woman with trousers" :D.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Slag is an insulting way to refer a female (who is considered ugly) and chops is slang for face.
    I don't associate 'slag' with looks. Unless the meaning's changed, it's all about sexual promiscuity, even prostitution. Both the 'slags' I've been aware of were attractive women. The rest of us were rather envious.

And surely 'gadding around' has nothing to do with 'getting around'. I've always thought 'gadding around' was benign and I'm quite skilled at it. Mobility problems prevent me from 'getting around', or even 'about', as much as I'd like these days, but I could never have been accused of having 'got about a bit', nudge-nudge-wink-wink, still less of 'having been around the block a few times'.

< Previous | Next >