Oil and rubber to reduce tire wear

poedgar

Ukrainian
Hi.
Can you explain to me how one can use oil and rubber to reduce tire wear?

This left Musso as the only man left to challenge Moss, who was driving masterfully, using the patches of oil and rubber in the corners to act as cushions to reduce tire wear.

Ferrari by Yaets.

Thanks.

• heypresto

English - England
    When driving over patches of rubber and oil, your tyres are, for a very brief time, not in contact with the track. This will reduce the wear on your tyres.

I'm no expert - I'm just going by ' . . . act as cushions' in this sentence.

Cross-posited.

Barque

Tamil
    There obviously were, and I don't see why that should be surprising. And that's definitely not a language question.:)

poedgar

Ukrainian
    There obviously were, and I don't see why that should be surprising. And that's definitely not a language question.:)
    To me it is a language question because I had doubtes what oil and rubber he used. You all said they were in the corners. However, firstly I thought they were in his car..
    So it helped me a great deal, though I still dont understand ehy they were there..

Barque

Tamil
    Oil might leak from the engines of cars. The rubber is obviously from tyres; race-cars are driven fast which can cause tyre-rubber to melt. Patches of oil and rubber can collect in corners over the course of a race.

poedgar

Ukrainian
    Oil might leak from the engines of cars. The rubber is obviously from tyres; race-cars are driven fast which can cause tyre-rubber to melt. Patches of oil and rubber can collect in corners over the course of a race.
    Hm.. Thanks. It does not seem convincing to me, though. But are you sure this is the only way to understsnd it?

Uncle Jack

British English
    Have you watched motor racing, even on television? Debris visibly accumulates outside the racing line. I had no idea there was any advantage to be gained in driving over it though.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    You need to be aware of social niceties like this.
    "...'guys' are commonly addressed to a group of both genders."
    That's true in some contexts. The forum is not one of them. 'Context' could include the age, the status, and the gender of the people you are addressing; there's also the formality of the situation.
    Shame on me, my lady!
    That's what I call insolence. Yes, you should be ashamed of yourself for that.

poedgar

Ukrainian
    You need to be aware of social niceties like this.
    "...'guys' are commonly addressed to a group of both genders."
    That's true in some contexts. The forum is not one of them. 'Context' could include the age, the status, and the gender of the people you are addressing; there's also the formality of the situation.

That's what I call insolence. Yes, you should be ashamed of yourself for that.
    Thank you for the instructive reply.
    Believe it or not but I did not intend to insult you in the least.
    It must seem offensive to you because English is not my native tongue whereas what I really wantet is to make it sound a bit... funny, if you like.

< Previous | Next >