OK boomer

whalesfood

English - US
“OK boomer is a viral internet slang phrase used, often in a humorous or ironic manner, to call out or dismiss out-of-touch or close-minded opinions associated with the baby boomer generation and older people more generally.” (Dictionary.com)
How could you say “OK boomer” in Spanish?
///
“‘OK Boomer’ es una frase de argot viral de Internet que se usa, a menudo de manera humorística o irónica, para llamar o descartar opiniones fuera de contacto o de mentalidad cerrada asociadas con la generación del baby boom y las personas mayores en general.”(Dictionary.com pero, usé translate.google.com)
¿Como se llama “OK boomer” en español?

• Ballenero

Spaniard
    Aunque no sé cuáles puedes ser esas ideas de mente cerrada de los babyboomer porque esa gente suele ser de mentalidad abierta (quizás lo veo así porque yo soy uno de ellos),
    "¡De acuerdo, viejuno!"

(Aunque tal vez sea un españolismo, solo para españolistos).

fenixpollo

American English
    Since the Baby Boom generation is a cultural phenomenon restricted to the countries most affected by World War Two, it doesn't have an equivalent in Spanish, as far as I know.

It is worthy to note that "Boomer" is discriptive: it isn't inherently disrespectful and it's definitely not insulting. But the phrase "OK, Boomer" is dismissive in the context mentioned above.

Senior1937's suggestion is good, but it doesn't mention age specifically. No sé si "cavernícola" y "troglodita" se refieren a la edad del sujeto o solamente a su retraso tecnológico/mental. En inglés, esos términos no tienen que ver con la edad.

I like Ballenero's suggestion better, since "viejuno" appears to be a disrespectful term for an older person.

Another idea might be one of the translations for geezer such as vejestorio. I'm not sure where this is used, and I haven't heard it before.

gengo

American English
    “OK boomer is a viral internet slang phrase used, often in a humorous or ironic manner, to call out or dismiss out-of-touch or closed-minded opinions associated with the baby boomer generation and older people more generally.” (Dictionary.com)
    Obviously, that website is not to be trusted completely, since it doesn't check for misspellings.

As fenixpollo says, there is no way this term can be translated into Spanish exactly, because it is loaded with cultural baggage. Just today, there are news reports that a talk radio host is being heavily criticized for comparing "OK, boomer" to the N-word. See here.

Of course, we can find Spanish words that are disrespectful to older people, but they do not convey the same idea, which is that of younger generations rebelling against the power and ideas of the Baby Boomer generation.

< Previous | Next >