Old acquaintance

• ewie

English English
    Hi, Lily. Sounds a bit like you only know one person in the world, which would be sad. Better would be because you're an old acquaintance of mine or you're one of my old acquaintances.
    But an acquaintance is someone you really don't know at all well. Would friend not be right in the context? It's a lot friendlier ...

lily1103

Czech Republic, Czech
    Thanks, ewie. You're right - "I did it just because you're an old friend of mine" sounds much better.

inbetweeness

Indonesia, Bahasa Indonesia as native language
    In the dictionary, 'to aqcuaint' means 'to make familiar' or 'to cause to come to know personally'. Can I use the noun 'acquaintance' for the process when someone acquaint someone else? For example:

It was the aqcuaintance between him and his new secretary.

Thank you. :)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    In the dictionary, 'to aqcuaint' means 'to make familiar' or 'to cause to come to know personally'. Can I use the noun 'acquaintance' for the process when someone acquaint someone else? For example:

It was the aqcuaintance between him and his new secretary.

Thank you. :)
    No, acquaintance usually refers to a person you know (are acquainted with). It may also be used in phrases like "I am pleased to make your acquaintance." (See this thread for a few examples of how it is used.)

It would not be used as you suggest, if I understand you correctly. You could say, "It was when he made his acquaintance with his secretary." But you would be more likely to say, "That was when he and his secretary became acquainted."

(Introduction is perhaps the noun that has the meaning you want. You could look it up.)

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    If I say "acquaintance" means "someone who you meet but you don't know well", can I say that an "old acquaintance" means "someone you often meet but you don't know well"?

I pass by a lottery outlet and buy lottery every day, it has been lasting for two years, but I still don't know the employee's name. He is my old acquaintance?

owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Silver. Here's your thought: ...can I say that an "old acquaintance" means "someone you often meet but you don't know well"?

I couldn't have said it better myself. That's exactly what "an old acquaintance" is. As long as you don't know this person well, you don't even have to see him or her that often. You two recognize each other. Perhaps you've had a few conversations.

< Previous | Next >