Old barn aglow - fierce love at older age

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
We say that love at an older age can be fierce, or like a fierce fire, like when an old barn gets on fire: it is hard to extinguish...In Dutch: wanneer een oude schuur [barn] in brand [fire, incendie] staat, is ze moeilijk te blussen [extinguish].

I would not be surprised if you had similar proverbs (?) or expressions in your language...

• Armas

Finnish
    I can't think of anything about love at older age specifically, but we do use fire metaphors about love.
    rakkaus syttyy "love ignites, catches fire"
    rakkaus sammuu "love is extinguished"
    We very often employ alliteration with words meaning fast burning, big fire:
    lempi leimahtaa "(erotic) love starts blazing", lempi leimuaa "(erotic) love is blazing"
    rakkaus roihahtaa "love starts blazing", rakkaus roihuaa "love is blazing"

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    That is quite correct, and I think in lots of languages. I have recently come across some of those in English: I bumped into an old flame yesterday./His touch inflamed her senses./ She gave him a smouldering look./ to burn with desire/ steamy sex scenes/ Sara felt herself melting into his arms.

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    I suppose the reference to the metaphorical "fire [of love)" are numerous, in various languages. I suppose that does not need to be investigated really. I suddenly wondered though where one can get burnt by love (Dutch has "brandende liefde", but not "verbrand (burnt, seared? by) door de liefde", as far as I can see now

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    Seems to be a a common idea of 'love burning with a passion/ardour' when one is 'amoureux'. Don't forget in English you can talk about 'an old flame', too. :)

In my mother tongue of Welsh, as a little diversion from the above, we can talk about, 'Hawdd cynnau tân ar hen aelwyd' (Lit. '(It's) easy to light a fire on an old hearth') which amounts to, 'It's easy to re-kindle (see what I did there?!) an old love affair'.

< Previous | Next >