Old Javanese: Bhinneka Tunggal Ika

南島君

Mandarin
Ok, we all know the origin of this extract, we all know "neka" means different, "tunggal" means one, "ika" means that.

My questions are:
1. What is the meaning or grammatical function (if there is) of "Bhin-" in Bhinneka?
2. Literally, what does "Bhinneka Tunggal Ika" denoting? Does it mean something close to "those (who are) different (yet in) one"?
                                                                   Ika          neka         tunggal

Thanks in advance.

lc

Last edited:
  • 南島君

Mandarin
    An entry in Wikipedia suggests that it is more correctly rendered as "[although] scattered, remaining [as] one"—
    Hi Brioche,

Thanks for the information. This is interesting, this interpretation takes ika as different meaning(?), as
    [although] scattered    remaining (as)    one
            ?(Bhin-)neka     ?          tunggal

I am rather confused, since i know nothing about OJ. Geez... i really need some help here.

mataripis

Ok, we all know the origin of this extract, we all know "neka" means different, "tunggal" means one, "ika" means that.

My questions are:
    1. What is the meaning or grammatical function (if there is) of "Bhin-" in Bhinneka?
    2. Literally, what does "Bhinneka Tunggal Ika" denoting? Does it mean something close to "those (who are) different (yet in) one"?
                                                                       Ika          neka         tunggal

Thanks in advance.

lc
    Old Javanese is new to me. If i consult Tagalog words, this will become " Naiiba ka na natatangi ka pa" meaning "exceptional and different one".I based my answer on how i read the old javanese terms.

Last edited:

theo1006

Netherlands
    Hi,

This is not a bad translation: those who are different yet one.
    Are you aware that Bhinneka Tunggal Ika is the slogan in the national emblem of Indonesia? As such it refers to the great diversity of peoples and cultures in the archipelago, who are nevertheless united in one state.

Theo

南島君

Mandarin
    Hi Theo,

Thanks for your comment and remind. I am very much aware of what i am asking.

Apparently, as Brioche pointed out earlier, there are different explanation on this sentence - ok, i am not even sure if it does stand for a sentence/clause/predicate.
    If my translation those who are different yet one is somehow close to the core meaning, it suppose to be a complex noun.

I was somehow confused.

lc

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >