Olympic athlete from Russia - why not plural?

< Previous | Next >

Volodaaaa

Slovak - Slovakia
I mean, why not
Olympic athletes from Russia?

I kind of understand that certain athlete of that team is an Olympic athlete. But it sound ridiculous when an ice hockey game announcement is made and it starts with "Team Olympic athlete from Russia goal/penalty/whatever".

Does it sound natural to natives?

Sorry for bothering you with this topic, but I have browsed whole Internet and still have not found a single explanation.

• Language Hound

American English
    I'm not sure I understand how it is being used.
    "Team Olympic athlete from Russia goal/penalty/whatever".:confused:
    Could you please quote exactly what the announcer said?

Volodaaaa

Slovak - Slovakia
    Forget the announcement. I just do not understand why in terms of the ongoing Olympic games the team has been named with a singular noun and not a plural. It does not make a sense, especially when talking about collective sports.

Btw. when an ice hockey player scores a goal, an acoustic announcer in an arena announce an announcement "team XY goal scored by player X assisted by players Y, Z". The same goes with this team but it sounds ridiculous, because "team Olympic athlete from Russia goal scored by...." indicate the team is made up by a single player - athlete.

Just makes me curious if this is some special grammar case like if I can use the noun athlete as an uncountable noun or what.

< Previous | Next >