om over na te denken

clack-to38te

English
Hoi!

Why is there a "na" in the following expression?

om over na te denken

Maybe I'm thinking too literally, but then I've always wondered why it's "Ik denk over je na, Amsterdam". I'll think about you later? I don't think so.

Today it came up again. I saw "denk er maar even over na" translated as, "Give it a moment of thought." There are enough modals there to choke on.

• Vasiliy

Belgian Dutch
    I think "na denke" could be translated as; "to think something thru".

"Ik denk over je na, Amsterdam", not sure what you meant with this, but it sounds kinda weird especially if referring to the city.

But if it's a persons name it would translate to: I'm thinking about you Amsterdam. People woudnt say it like that tho... They would say; Ik denk aan je, Amsterdam.

In my opinion to be good at a language, you must kinda feel it. If you feel a language it becomes like twice as easy.

Suehil

Medemod
    British English
    The difference is slight and is often lost in translation, but 'nadenken' means 'to reflect', 'to consider', while 'denken' on its own is just 'to think'.

So: 'I think Nederland will win' would be 'Ik denk dat Nederland gaat winnen'

and: 'I'm not sure, I'll think about it' would be 'Ik weet het niet zeker, ik zal erover nadenken'

clack-to38te

English
    The difference is slight and is often lost in translation, but 'nadenken' means 'to reflect', 'to consider', while 'denken' on its own is just 'to think'.

So: 'I think Nederland will win' would be 'Ik denk dat Nederland gaat winnen'

and: 'I'm not sure, I'll think about it' would be 'Ik weet het niet zeker, ik zal erover nadenken'
    Thanks for your help. I didn't think to look up nadenken.

Without having to start a new thread, what do you think the best way to render "Ik denk over je na, Amsterdam" would be?

< Previous | Next >