Oma doma.

Encolpius

Hungarian
Hello, I ran into a videon on TVS, maybe it is not even Polish, but Silesian. A band named Kapela Z Naszego Miasteczka has that video "Oma doma". You can check it on Youtube. What does "oma doma" mean? My guess is: granny is at home. Thanks.

• zaffy

Polish
    I guess 99% of the Polish will have no idea what it means. I needed to look it up. Though I would easily understand what follows, that is, 'yno nyna' as she "sleeps only"

"Oma doma yno nyno" = Babcia w domu tylko śpi, meaning "All granny does at home is sleep."

Last edited:

jasio

Apparently yes, but nowadays it is acnowledged as Silesian language.
    Acknowledged by whom? The status of the ślůnsko godka is linguisticly disputable, and is a highly political topic. As far, as I am aware, it's not legally recognised as a language in Poland - unlike kaszëbskô mòwa, which is officially recognised as a regional language.

Ben Jamin

Polish
    Acknowledged by whom? The status of the ślůnsko godka is linguisticly disputable, and is a highly political topic. As far, as I am aware, it's not legally recognised as a language in Poland - unlike kaszëbskô mòwa, which is officially recognised as a regional language.
    It is acknowledged by many people. An official recognition may come in not so distant future. Kashubian was also defined as a dialect until recently.
    There are no sharp linguistic criteria to distinguish a "language" and a "dialect", it is a matter of convention, usually based on political criteria, like in the case of Serbian and Croatian.

jasio

It is acknowledged by many people. An official recognition may come in not so distant future. Kashubian was also defined as a dialect until recently.
    There are no sharp linguistic criteria to distinguish a "language" and a "dialect", it is a matter of convention, usually based on political criteria, like in the case of Serbian and Croatian.
    As you may recall, "many people" - however many or few - also consider Silesians as a crypto-German option. :-/ And "many people" - however many or few - would also want to re-establish autonomy of the Silesian region (Upper Silesia, to be precise), albeit it's not a part of the Polish legal system for three generations now. And, as far as I can recall, it already does not exist for a longer period of time than it did exist.

Anyway, as I had remarked, and you kindly acknowledged - it is a politically-biased topic, so I would opt for closing this thread before the discussion goes too far. It's off-topic anyway.

Ben Jamin

Polish
    As you may recall, "many people" - however many or few - also consider Silesians as a crypto-German option. :-/ And "many people" - however many or few - would also want to re-establish autonomy of the Silesian region (Upper Silesia, to be precise), albeit it's not a part of the Polish legal system for three generations now. And, as far as I can recall, it already does not exist for a longer period of time than it did exist.

Anyway, as I had remarked, and you kindly acknowledged - it is a politically-biased topic, so I would opt for closing this thread before the discussion goes too far. It's off-topic anyway.
    The topic is not "politically biased" itself, the bias originates in people that take part in a discussion, and reveals their political standpoint.

Next >