Omission in a comparative sentence

truthguy

Chinese
For example,

The amount of electricity used for TV is 1.5% smaller than (that) (used) (for) washing machine.

Can the words in the parentheses be omitted, which are:

The amount of electricity used for TV is 1.5% smaller than used for washing machine.

The amount of electricity used for TV is 1.5% smaller than for washing machine.

The amount of electricity used for TV is 1.5% smaller than washing machine.

Which one is the best?

Thank you very much!!

• heypresto

English - England
    The amount of electricity used by a TV is 1.5% smaller than used by a washing machine. :cross:

The amount of electricity used by a TV is 1.5% smaller than by a washing machine. :cross:

The amount of electricity used by a TV is 1.5% smaller than washing machine. :cross:

The amount of electricity used by a TV is 1.5% smaller than that used by a washing machine. :tick:

The amount of electricity used by a TV is 1.5% smaller than is used by a washing machine. :tick:

morior_invictus

Slovak
    The amount of electricity used for TV is____1.5% smaller than (that) (used) (for) washing machine.
    Hi truthguy,
    I miss some word in there and also "used for" doesn`t sound good to me.

I would say "The amount of electricity consumed by a TV is about 1,5% smaller than that consumed by a washing machine.

(cross-posted)

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    The amount of electricity used by a TV is 1.5% smaller than that used by a washing machine. :tick:

The amount of electricity used by a TV is 1.5% smaller than is used by a washing machine. :tick:
    I think less sounds much better than smaller in both of these sentences.

heypresto

English - England
    I think less sounds much better than smaller in both of these sentences.
    I was about to agree with you, then I had second thoughts and am now not so sure.

To say 'the amount of electricity is smaller' is OK, I think, whereas the electricity used is less.

I don't think you can have a 'less amount'.

< Previous | Next >