omission of "the" in adjectives

Dwishiren

Indonesia
As I know, adjectives that shows the traits of Allah (God) take "the", and the adjectives are capitalized. But why does the writer omit it?

Indeed, your Lord is All-Powerful, Almighty.

Shouldn't this sentence instead be "Indeed, your Lord is the All-Powerful, the Almighty"?

I need your help all.

• Einstein

UK, English
    "The Almighty" is a synonym for God and needs the article. But in the sentence "your Lord is All-Powerful, Almighty", these are adjectives and don't need an article. You could say that in this case they should not be capitalised.

Dwishiren

Indonesia
    No, the adjectives really are capitalized. If you ever see the translations of the Qur'an, adjectives that indicate the attributes of Allah (God) is all capitalized although they are not preceded by "the". I believe with or without is the same. I mean there's no difference between saying "Indeed, your Lord is All-Powerful, Almighty" and "Indeed, your Lord is the All-Powerful, the Almighty". Leaving "the" out would be more common in conversation, I think. This is only my observation, though. What do u think?

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    This has been discussed here before. I looked for the thread but couldn't find it. The conclusion I came to (about this and numerous similar points) was that the translator was following the Arabic closely, when English allowed it. In Arabic adjectives can be used as nouns with an article, as in this example.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    In Arabic adjectives can be used as nouns with an article, as in this example.
    In English, too - the sick, the halt and the blind.

"Indeed, your Lord is All-Powerful, Almighty." - All-powerful and almighty are adjectives describing your Lord.
    "Indeed, your Lord is the All-Powerful [One], the Almighty [One]." - All-powerful and almighty are adjectives describing One, which is omitted because it's not necessary to include it.

JustKate

No, the adjectives really are capitalized. If you ever see the translations of the Qur'an, adjectives that indicate the attributes of Allah (God) is all capitalized although they are not preceded by "the". I believe with or without is the same. I mean there's no difference between saying "Indeed, your Lord is All-Powerful, Almighty" and "Indeed, your Lord is the All-Powerful, the Almighty". Leaving "the" out would be more common in conversation, I think. This is only my observation, though. What do u think?
    In the Christian tradition, nouns that refer to God and the other aspects of the Trinity are traditionally capped (e.g., "the Lord," "God," "the Messiah," "the Holy Spirit"), but adjectives usually are not. (In non-religious contexts, not everyone caps nouns, either.) So I think Einstein and Parla are right when they say that the question of capitalization involves religion or perhaps religious tradition rather than language.

I also agree that "All-Powerful" and "Almighty" are being used as adjectives here. If that wasn't the intent, the definite article should have been used. A speaker/writer should not delete it, even in conversation. That is not usual.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >