omnivorous

< Previous | Next >

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
Hi,

- What do you like to eat?
- I'm omnivorous.

Do you find the above extract idiomatic, I made it up and was wondering if there was anything more common than omnivorous in the above dialogue or you'd simply say I like everything?

Thank you!

Last edited:
  • bibliolept

AE, Español
    "Omnivorous" would be understandable and reasonably idiomatic; obviously it's a little humorous. I might say something like that. (I usually say "I'll eat anything that isn't nailed down or literally on fire.")

jpyvr

English - Canadian
    I often describe myself as "omnivorous." A recent best-selling book in the USA was called "The Omnivore's Dilemma", so clearly most native-English speakers would understand "omnivorous".

sdgraham

USA English
    omnivorous
    adjective
    omnivorous

feeding on both plants and animals

You might use this humorously, but it might well be taken literally, which would have nothing to do with your taste preferences.

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    Much more usual a response would be

"I'm not fussy, I'll eat anything" or something like that. Omnivorous has a "scientific" feel, or an "animal" feel for me, so unless I was trying to be funny (and it's not very funny) I wouldn't use it in general conversation about a person. I feel that it is more used to describe a species rather than an individual, so pigs are omnivorous, humans are omnivorous, but George a Number 23 just eats anything that's put in front of him.

Last edited:

bibliolept

AE, Español
    That tells me that you are willing to eat anything.
    It does not tell me what you like to eat. It is not a very helpful response.
    Anytime someone asks "What do you want for dinner" and you say "Anything..." or "whatever you want is fine with me," you're not helping much. It doesn't stop me from doing it.

< Previous | Next >