on a Harry Porter bender [Potter]

< Previous | Next >

JBPARK

Good Afternoon to all the members.

I've known the expression "being on a bender" to mean something along the lines of "going out for a very excessive drinking".

My question is:

Can the expression be used to talk about other things, besides alcohol, one is totally hooked on at the moment, for example,

"I am on a Harry Porter bender right now", which then seems to mean something similar to "I am on a Harry Porter kick right now",

which is the only expression I know that conveys the meaning of "being hooked on".

Any insights would be appreciated.

• You mean Harry Potter, right?

Being on a bender sounds a lot stronger than being on a kick. I don't recall hearing "bender" in reference to anything other than alcohol before, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be used - people would understand what you meant (although they might wonder what sort of hangover you'd have after you finished all the books). I think you might find binge more common, though.

Kryptonite1303

India - Tamil & English
    You mean Harry Potter, right?

Being on a bender sounds a lot stronger than being on a kick. I don't recall hearing "bender" in reference to anything other than alcohol before, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be used - people would understand what you meant (although they might wonder what sort of hangover you'd have after you finished all the books). I think you might find binge more common, though.
    I would also use 'binge'.

< Previous | Next >