on a human level

IcyAnnie

Korean
It's from UNCHARTED 2's game director's interview.

"Basically, we gave them an impossible task, and there are gaps in the game like objects that don’t have any audio on them at all that we, and more specifically our sound guys, aren’t happy about. And this was not their fault - I think our audio is fantastic, but on a human level, they deserved to have more time for more polish."

I have a question about 'on a human level'.
In the sentence, they(sound team) had not enough time to develop sound.
Then does 'on a human level' means that 'because they are human'?

"... but on a human level, they deserved to have more time for more polish."
-> "... but bacause they are human, they deserved to have more time for more polish."

If there are another meaning, let me know.
Thanks in advance.

• Perseas

Greek
    If they (those who were given an impossible task) were humans indeed, there was no need to put stress on their property as humans; so I don't think that "on human level" means "because they are Human". In my opinion "on human level" in this context refers to a "humane" behaviour.

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/humane
    humane /hjʊˈmeɪn/
    ▶adjective
    • 1 compassionate or benevolent. ■ inflicting the minimum of pain.

• 2 formal (of a branch of learning) intended to have a civilizing effect.

Last edited:

Archstudent

English - North London
    Well, it is very colloquial writing, very conversational. Maybe he means they aren't machines who can work non stop, but humans, so it is fair enough - in fact really they should have had more time.

No other meaning I can think of.

Well, it is very colloquial writing, very conversational. Maybe he means they aren't machines who can work non stop, but humans, so it is fair enough - in fact really they should have had more time.

No other meaning I can think of.
    I agree with you, but IcyAnnie mentioned that it was an interview, so it's not surprising that the director's statements sound colloquial to you. ;)

< Previous | Next >