on a very hot day of August [placement?]

< Previous | Next >

gouged

español
I'm trying to improve my English and I write a short summary about a story I read in a magazine:

"The story is about two people, Geoffrey and his wife Hellen, who get trapped in a lift on a very hot day of August. The lift hasn't got an air vent and it´s so hot that they begin to feel badly. At last, using a money clip, Geoffrey manage to open the doors a bit letting a fresh air draft in.

Surprisingly, the story ends up at Geoffrey and Hellen´s funeral where Geoffrey´s colleagues are talking about their death and they are saying that Geoffrey died instantly.

This way, the end of the story is a little confused and we must supposed that it was a dream of a dying man."

• gouged

español
    For example I would like to know if "on a very hot day of August" is coorectly place in the sentence?

Thank you

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    For example? You mean there could be more? Be sure to ask all your questions up front, because you don't want this to turn into an incremental proofreading exercise. Your "example" question does not appear to be related to the thread title.

Yes, the phrase is correctly placed. I'd say that "who on a very hot day in August get trapped in a lift" is also possible, but is not as good as in your version. I prefer "in August" to "of August".

gouged

español
    Thank you very much Edinburgher. Word order in English is a very difficult subjet for me.

< Previous | Next >