on account of / because of

Mr.Blue

Australia / English
Hiii,

i have some doubts about the usage of " on account of ", does it completely means "because of" or does it have a nuance ? can i say for example (( he died on account of a heart-attack )) ? can i use it in spoken language or it should always be used in written language ?

Thanxx in advance

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    "On account of" does indeed mean 'because of' - but one doesn't die 'on account of' a broken heart. One dies of a broken heart on account of his beloved's infidelity.

*Cowgirl*

USA English
    Mr.Blue said:
    Hiii,

i have some doubts about the usage of " on account of ", does it completely means "because of" or does it have a nuance ? can i say for example (( he died on account of a heart-attack :tick: )) ? can i use it in spoken language or it should always be used in written language ?

Thanxx in advance
    It can be used both in spoken and in written language.

heshayershah

Turkish
    I have just come across this sentence in an exercise: "Many young adults live at home on account of the money they save." Because it's part of an exercise, there is no context, sorry.

I find it a bit confusing.

Does it mean they live at home because they can't save enough money or they live at home because they are trying to save some money?

Thank you

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    The second of your explanations sems more likely.
    However, I would say "Many young adults live at home to save money / in order to save money."

< Previous | Next >