on account of her mane

möglich

français
Hello, once again it is from "the Exploits of Engelbrecht", a surrealist British text written by Maurice Richardson in the 40s/50s.
This time, the main character, Engelbrecht, is taking part in a steeplechase, riding Medusa (sic).
His manager explains how he got her : "She belonged to an ancient Irish alcoholic who had the finest stable in the history, and she was going cheap on account of her mane (composed of snakes). Cheap indeed! She'll cost him his ruddy life."

Does it mean they got her at a very low price because of her mane (which supposedly makes her lose in value) ?
Or they were lucky to get an animal with such a incredible mane at a very low price ?
Thanks.

• möglich

français
    Because I am pretty sure that in French we can use it to show that what we write/quote is either misspelled or very weird.
    I thought it was the same in English.

Copyright

American English
    lucas-sp, I am going to open a new thread about the use of sic...
    Please search instead: sic

And I think lucas was asking because the word you have attached [sic] to -- Medusa -- seems all right to us. What is your concern with it that you would mark it as a mistake?

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Ah, I see. But there's nothing that odd about riding Medusa, or riding a horse named Medusa, particularly in the context of a surrealist novel.

Normally we use [sic] when it would look like we had made a transcription error, or if the citation we include is clearly faulty in terms of its logic. I don't think there was any need to use it here, so I was just a bit confused. Not a big deal, though.

< Previous | Next >