On account of

Annaliina

Finnish - Finland
Hi!

I'm writing a paper in which I analyse a novel, and I'm having a hard time interpreting a line which I think is very important. The character is talking about tennis. How would you interpret her line:

"How silly, batting an inoffensive ball across something that ought to be used to catch fish on account of millions are starving for a bite for herring."

My initial interpretation was that she is kind of berating tennis and stating that it would be much more important to find ways to feed the hungry, than to be playing sports. But now I'm not so sure anymore. Am I completely at a loss with my interpretation? What does "on account of" really mean?

My paper is late and I'm super stressed, so I've begun to question everything I'm doing in regards to this paper....

Thank you so much for any help & comments!

• Barque

Tamil
    My initial interpretation was that she is kind of berating tennis and stating that it would be much more important to find ways to feed the hungry, than to be playing sports.
    Yes, that's right. The term "on account of" means "because" here. The sentence means: It's silly to be playing this game (and using a net as equipment), because millions in the world are starving (and nets can be put to better use, such as fishing).

Welcome to the forum.

< Previous | Next >