On account of

Roymalika

Punjabi
Mobile phone also has some harms on account of its wrong use. It brings about accidents when a driver is busy talking on the phone. His attention is diverted from the road and consequently he gets into an accident.

Have I used "on account of" correctly?

• heypresto

English - England
    No. 'On account of' means 'because of'. Mobiles are not harmful because of their wrong use.

We don't say 'have some harms'.

I think you mean something like: Mobile phones/the mobile phone can cause harm when wrongly used.

Not all drivers are male.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    why not use "because of"?
    Because it would mean that mobiles are harmful (always), and that the reason for this is that they are (always) used wrongly.
    But that is not the case. They are not always harmful and are not always used wrongly. They are only harmful if and when they are used wrongly.

Roymalika

Punjabi
    Because it would mean that mobiles are harmful (always), and that the reason for this is that they are (always) used wrongly.
    But that is not the case. They are not always harmful and are not always used wrongly. They are only harmful if and when they are used wrongly.
    If I use "sometimes", then I think it would be OK.
    Mobile phones are sometimes harmful on account of their wrong use.

Sometimes means not always.

Right?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Well, perhaps. But it still doesn't sound quite right. Part of the problem is that even the phrase "wrong use" sounds unnatural.
    The use of "because" (or "on account of") also makes the causal connection appear stronger than it really is. After all, this "wrong use" is wide-spread but does not always result in harm. Compared with how often people use phones while driving, the number of accidents that can be attributed to this is tiny.

< Previous | Next >