on account of

gvergara

Español
Hi:

I know the expression on account of is followed by a noun phrase, but, amazingly enough, in this case it is followed by a clause... I have the hunch that is not "correct" English, but I'd like to know when this kind of expression usually occurs (informal style, slang, among teenagers, etc), thanks

I wasn't supposed to come back after Chrsitmas vacation, on account of I was flunking four subjects and not appying myself and all.
From "The catcher in the rye" by J. D. Salinger

Gonzalo

• GamblingCamel

USA English
    You're correct. It's poor grammar.

I'm not sure that it is the kind of phrasing teenagers would now use.
    Now it might be more common to say, "cuz" ( short for "because").

The "and all" at the end of the sentence is also very colloquial.
    But it is a construction that I've heard myself say.

AmideLanval

Hi:

I know the expression on account of is followed by a noun phrase, but, amazingly enough, in this case it is followed by a clause... I have the hunch that is not "correct" English, but I'd like to know when this kind of expression usually occurs (informal style, slang, among teenagers, etc), thanks

I wasn't supposed to come back after Chrsitmas vacation, on account of I was flunking four subjects and not appying myself and all.

Gonzalo

One could also replace "on account of" with "as"

For example:

"I wasn't supposed to come back after Christmas vacation, as I was flunking..."

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi:

Gonzalo
    I suspect that Holden is cutting out the fact that. on account of the fact that I was flunking four subjects and not appying myself and all would be perfectly correct grammar, but much too wordy for a teenager.

gvergara

Español
    I suspect that Holden is cutting out the fact that. on account of the fact that I was flunking four subjects and not appying myself and all would be perfectly correct grammar, but much too wordy for a teenager.
    Thanks. Do you usually do that kind of "cutting out"? Could I use it without being regarded as a freaky guy? :D

Gonzalo

< Previous | Next >