on account of

Sergin

Chinese
The golden crab of the Gulf of Mexico has not been fished commercially in great numbers, primarily on account of living at great depths-- 2,500 to 3,000 feet down.
This sentence is grammatically wrong. How to revise it?

Thanks.

• Jack Aubrey

English
    The golden crab in the Gulf of Mexico has not been fished commercially in great numbers, primarily because it lives at great depths--2,500 to 3,000 feet down.

Last edited:

Sergin

Chinese
    The golden crab in the Gulf of Mexico has not been fished commercially in great numbers, primarily because it lives at great depths--2,500 to 3,000 feet down.
    Thanks, it make sence.

If we could use another way to revise it, keeping on account of but substitute it?

Sergin

Chinese
    Try "...on account of its living at great..."

Wait... what do you mean "keeping on account of but substitute it"? :confused:
    sorry for my ambiguity.:p
    I mean, I want to use on account of in this sentence to express the reason (because it lives...) , meanwhile, to keep the sentence grammatically right.
    (Is it clear this time?)

Trisia

Romanian
    Well, I gave you a suggestion, let's see if the others agree or not. I mean, I could be wrong. Very wrong...

Last edited:

srta chicken

US English
    "on account of" doesn't fit; it just sounds wierd.

Incidently, this phrase can even be used mockingly when a person is talking is if he or she were uneducated.

The first suggestions were good, but if you want another alternative, you could say, "primarily due to its living at great depths." But it's just an alternative; it's not better.

Sergin

Chinese
    "on account of" doesn't fit; it just sounds wierd.

Incidently, this phrase can even be used mockingly when a person is talking is if he or she were uneducated.

The first suggestions were good, but if you want another alternative, you could say, "primarily due to its living at great depths." But it's just an alternative; it's not better.

gaer

US-English
    sorry for my ambiguity.:p
    I mean, I want to use on account of in this sentence to express the reason (because it lives...) , meanwhile, to keep the sentence grammatically right.
    (Is it clear this time?)
    I'll give you something that is possible, but before I do I'd like to make clear that I would not use it:

The golden crab of the Gulf of Mexico has not been fished commercially in great numbers primarily on account of the fact that it lives at great depths—2,500 to 3,000 feet down.

The problem is that the underlined phrase means "primarily because", which is a much better solution.

< Previous | Next >