on / at BBC

< Previous | Next >

nurdug51

Germany,German
You can watch the series on 7.00 on BBC.

I'm very sure that the above sentence is correct.

But are other prepositions possible? I think I have also heard:

......at BBC.

I suppose in BBC is wrong, isn't it?

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    No, it's not correct, but I presume you mean:

You can watch the series at 7.00 on BBC.

You use 'on'; and 'the' for the network: 'on the BBC' if it's on any one of the BBC stations. For a particular station, 'on BBC 2', 'on BBC Radio 3'. If a network has only one (relevant) station, you can treat the network name as the station name: 'on ITV', 'on Fox'. I can't think of when you would say 'at' or 'in' with a station.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Hi, again, entangledbank:)

Prepositions are tricky for Enlgish learners. I am wondering whether I can say:

I am reading news on/at/ in the NYT?

Thawt

Polish
    Hi,
    As to AT BBC, how about for example:
    Let's meet at BBC when two people want to set a meeting point and then for example go somewhere together, so AT BBC in meaning location, address...

nurdug51

Germany,German
    No, it's not correct, but I presume you mean:

You can watch the series at 7.00 on BBC.

You use 'on'; and 'the' for the network: 'on the BBC' if it's on any one of the BBC stations. For a particular station, 'on BBC 2', 'on BBC Radio 3'. If a network has only one (relevant) station, you can treat the network name as the station name: 'on ITV', 'on Fox'. I can't think of when you would say 'at' or 'in' with a station.
    Thank you for your detailed answer. Indeed there was a typing mistake in my first sentence.
    Everything is clear for me.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I'm sorry, I've made a mistake with 'the'. In fact, some names of networks contain 'the' and others don't. It's a matter of names, not grammar. So the BBC, the ABC (in Australia) are networks, as are ITV, Fox, and ABC (in the USA).

With this adjustment, we can treat network names and station names the same: I heard/saw it on the BBC, on BBC 2, on Radio 3, on the ABC, on ABC.

For the building, such as Broadcasting House in London, yes you would use 'at' because it's a building, and 'the' because that's part of its name: meet at the BBC, meet at Broadcasting House, meet at Harrods, meet at the Empire State Building.

Yankee_NLPer

English-USA
    A way of knowing which preposition to use, say the entire sentence to yourself.

Expand NYT to be exactly what you mean... NYT newspaper? NYT website?

I am reading news in the NYT newspaper... or in the NY Times... in the NYT.

I am reading news at/on the online NYT website.... or at/on the NYT website.... online at/on the NYT (website)... NYT online.

Hope this helps you to better understand.

< Previous | Next >