<on/at> New Year's Eve

emma.learns

Chinese - China
Dear all,

Which preposition should I use? <On/at> New Year's Eve.

For example, in the following sentences:

In China, people have a custom to stay up <at> the New Year's Eve until midnight.

I think this is why people have the custom of having dumplings <on> New Year’s Eve.

I'm not sure whether they are correct and I don't know when to use which.

Thank you!

Last edited:
  • emma.learns

Chinese - China
    Tough to say without knowing what the complete sentence is.
    Sorry, thought it's always the same.

In China, people have a custom to stay up <at> the New Year's Eve until midnight.

I think this is why people have the custom of having dumplings <on> New Year’s Eve.

I'm not sure whether they are correct and I don't know when to use which.

Thank you!

You little ripper!

Australian English
    In China the custom is to stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve might be a slightly better way of putting it.

I think this is why the Chinese * have the custom of having dumplings on New Year’s Eve.

It's not 'people' who have that custom, but the Chinese.

Last edited:

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    I think in general, we use "on" to mean the exact day when a festival is celebrated and "at" to mean the general time around the festival, that is, from a couple of days before the festival to a couple of days after it but I wonder whether "at" could be used in such a sense with "New Year's Eve" because "(on X's) eve" is a very specific time reference,:confused: but then I suppose it can be.

On Christmas = on 25th December
    at Christmas = during the Christmas week/ during the days around Christmas including the Christmas day

Please do correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thanks a bunch.

< Previous | Next >