on behalf of

benjaminlee

Chinese
I did not hesitate to agree to write this letter on behalf of Mr. xx's application for this program. (self-made)
I know it is natural to replace "on behalf of" with "in support of". But I wonder whether I can also use "on behalf of" to introduce not some agents, but an activity of some agent.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I did not hesitate to agree to write this letter on behalf of Mr. xx's application for this program. (self-made)
    I know it is natural to replace "on behalf of" with "in support of". But I wonder whether I can also use "on behalf of" to introduce not some agents, but an activity of some agent.
    But, in your example, "on behalf of" does not introduce an activity: it introduces a noun: "Mr. xx's application for this program."

You cannot write a letter on behalf of an application.

"On behalf of" can only be used for a person or group of persons; a firm, business or organisation, or an idea, cause or concept.

I would like to thank you on behalf of XYZ = I am representing XYZ and I am thanking you because XYZ is unable (for whatever reason) to thank you himself/herself/itself/themselves.

< Previous | Next >