On clicking / Clicking> the button ...

< Previous | Next >

harry1999

Marathi, Hindi
Which of these sentence is correct?

On clicking the OK button, the warning dialog gets closed.

OR

Clicking the OK button, the warning dialog gets closed.

I am wondering second option is correct.

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    The second one is incorrect, because it says that the dialog has clicked the OK button. I'd assume that a person has done the clicking. The first one isn't much better, for the same reason. I'd say: Click the OK button to close the warning dialog.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    You have not provided any context for this statement. Context matters - here and in most other places.

If this is to be used in instructions to the user of an application, perhaps on a computer screen, I would use Parla's suggestion.

If this is to be written in technical documentation, I would write "Clicking the OK button closes the warning dialogue." (I prefer the traditional spelling, dialogue, but the shorter dialog is common and is not an error.)

If this will be used somewhere else, tell us, since some other way of saying it may be better. You know what this is for. Please don't keep it a secret.

harry1999

Marathi, Hindi
    You have not provided any context for this statement. Context matters - here and in most other places.

If this is to be used in instructions to the user of an application, perhaps on a computer screen, I would use Parla's suggestion.

If this is to be written in technical documentation, I would write "Clicking the OK button closes the warning dialogue." (I prefer the traditional spelling, dialogue, but the shorter dialog is common and is not an error.)

If this will be used somewhere else, tell us, since some other way of saying it may be better. You know what this is for. Please don't keep it a secret.
    Yes, I was writing test cases. In IT industry, this document provides steps to be executed, expected result, actual result, etc.
    It's like if you do something, it shows/does something that is expected. So, the expected result in this context is, "the dialog gets closed" - when?
    "Clicking the 'OK' button. If one has to verify this case written in the document.

Final sentence:
    Verify that (on) clicking the OK button, dialog gets closed.

Your version,

Verify that clicking the OK button closes the warning dialog.

Would first sentence be correct in this context? or
    am I totally wrong?
    Please help!

Last edited:

Artiffex

Bilingual: Catalan & Spanish
    Hello everybody. I have a question on 'clicking'. It's related to computers too and the context is the privacy policy of a particular website.

Should I say 'Clicking behaviour' or 'click behaviour'? I'm not sure that 'clicking' can be used as a gerund in the position of the subject, though I find it gramatically logical...

Thanks!

< Previous | Next >