...on computers and the internet...

charleypride

Britain - English
I'm trying to say:

'People's personal relationships might suffer because they spend too much time on them'.

The 'them' refers to computers and the internet. The dictionary says that 'on the internet' is translated as 'im Internet', but I don't know how to change this to a plural. My best guess is 'in ihnen'...?! I'd be grateful for any help!

Thank you!

• Jana337

čeština
    I'd strongly suggest that you reword it, in both languages. :) It sounds like "them" refers to relationships. Why don't you say "online", for example?

starrynightrhone

Austria, German
    'People's personal relationships might suffer because they spend too much time on them'.

The 'them' refers to computers and the internet. The dictionary says that 'on the internet' is translated as 'im Internet', but I don't know how to change this to a plural.
    "..., da sie zuviel Zeit mit Computern und im Internet verbringen."

"Internet" is both singular and plural in German.

muycuriosa

German, Germany
    Hi Charley,

you could say: '... weil sie zuviel Zeit damit verbringen' - if you've already mentioned what you're talking about, that is computers and the internet.
    If not, you could say: '... weil sie zuviel Zeit mit Computerspielen (I suppose that is what you mean) und dem Internet verbringen / ... zuviel Zeit damit verbringen, Computerspiele zu machen und im Internet zu surfen'.

As for your other questions:
    You are right: 'on the internet' really is 'im Internet', but in your case, the preposition 'on' is part of the verb 'to spend time on s.th.' = 'Zeit mit etwas verbringen'.

As Jana has already said: 'mit ihnen' doesn't really work, because it sounds as if you were talking about people.
    When we talk about things and need a - well, kind of - pronoun - we don't use the preposition + 'ihm, ihr, es, ihnen', but instead: 'da-' + the preposition, e.g. -mit, -für, -zu etc..

Ich habe keine Zeit für dieses Buch / für diesen Termin / ... =
    Ich habe keine Zeit dafür. (instead of 'für es, ihn ...' for example)

Mit deiner Antwort / mit deinen Fragen / ... hast du ihn verärgert =
    Damit hast du ihn verärgert.

I hope that has helped you a bit.
    muycuriosa

< Previous | Next >