On condition that

Lt.Data

Turkish
Hello,
I will be happy if you can check the usage of the phrase below:

On the condition that

On condition that the roads connecting the cities were safe, the inns with their castle-like appearance and their ornaments giving rich stone workmanship examples were prominent buildings having economic contributions and meeting different needs alongside baths and masjid buildings.

Thank you in advance.

<Question has been given its own thread by moderator (Florentia52)>

Last edited:
  • lingobingo

English - England
    What are you trying to say? The sentence is unclear, at best. It seems to mean “provided that” (so long as) the roads were good, the buildings were of a certain type.

On condition :confused: that the roads connecting the cities were safe,
    the inns …… were prominent buildings … (main clause)

Lt.Data

Turkish
    What are you trying to say? The sentence is unclear, at best. It seems to mean “provided that” (so long as) the roads were good, the buildings were of a certain type.

On condition :confused: that the roads connecting the cities were safe,
    the inns …… were prominent buildings … (main clause)
    Hello, I revised with two alternatives as follows: I will be happy if you can advise. Thank you.

#1) Provided that the roads, which were connecting the cities to each other, were safe; the inns, which had castle-like appearances and ornaments showing rich stone-workmanship examples were prominent buildings that had economic contributions and met different needs alongside baths and masjid buildings.

#2) The safety of the roads was very important for commercial activities at those times. Therefore, the castle-like inns, having rich stone ornaments, were prominent buildings that made economical contributions and met different needs of people alongside baths and masjid buildings.