on fire

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
Hi Group,

I undertood that "on fire" means "to be eager, energetic and all fired up" But this sentence, I don't quite understand "Your mother was very pretty, she lived my life on fire" in this context what does "on fire" means or imply?

• VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Antonio said:
    "Your mother was very pretty, she lived my life on fire" in this context what does "on fire" means or imply?

Maybe you meant to say, "She lit my life on fire"?

She lit my life on fire:
    She made my life exciting.
    She brought spice into my life.
    She gave me a new appreciation for life.

Antonio: What do you think?

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
    Sorry VenusEnvy, I didn't see it to be honest to you, sorry about that again. Can I say "on fire" is not the case, but if were the case, picture the whole economy going off track, that are not enough jobs for the people and oil prices are going through the roof. Can I say, "Don't come back home Leslie, until the whole situation picks up, right now the situation is on fire"

VenusEnvy

English, United States
    Um, you can say that. Most likely, people can infer what you mean. But, it is not a common phrase. I have never heard "on fire" used in this instance, Antonio.

jacinta

USA English
    On fire is normally used (in my part of the world) to describe a person who is doing exceptionally well. If you see a performer and she gives a really good show, you would say, "Wow, she was really on fire tonight!"
    On fire is usually used in a good and positive way.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    mjscott said:
    ....unless your house is on fire. This, in my opinion, is not positive. :D
    It's hard to disagree with you MJ. I suppose the same could be said about one's personal articles of clothing, your car...
    Jacinta was clearly referring to the figurative use of the phrase. The only tangible objects I like to see on fire are the logs in my wood stove, or the charcoal in the grill.

saludos,
    cuchu

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
    jacinta said:
    On fire is normally used (in my part of the world) to describe a person who is doing exceptionally well. If you see a performer and she gives a really good show, you would say, "Wow, she was really on fire tonight!"
    On fire is usually used in a good and positive way.

Can someone please, read through this post, and give an example to understand better the usage of this phrase "on fire"

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Antonio said:
    Can someone please, read through this post, and give an example to understand better the usage of this phrase "on fire"
    Hi Antonio;
    Here we use it for both...

"on fire"--did an awsome job of what was expected of her...her job was to act..she did such a good job she had the crowd in awe....
    "on fire"--he/she lit my life on fire...made my life exciting..(sorry, to repeat..we say both)
    te gato;)

Edwin

USA / Native Language: English
    Antonio said:

Here are some hopefully self-evident expressions obtained by Googling the exact words ''she is on fire'' and separately ''he is on fire''. I have omitted those where the person is actually burning in a real fire. :)

If we do lose Les Ferdinand for the cup game it will be a blow because he is
    on fire in front of goal..

NBA ACTION '94 by Sega Sports --- NBA SHOWDOWN '94 by EA Sports
    ... After a player has hit a certain number of shots in a row, he is "on fire"
    and will have a higher chance of making shots until he misses a few in a row. ..

Ray Bradbury is on fire! At 81, the veteran author of sci-fi classics "Fahrenheit
    451" and "The Martian Chronicles" is suddenly very hot in Hollywood

Tom Luffman runs around life like he is on fire, because, well, he is.
    With passion.

Poker Top10: Top World Poker Tour Players.
    ... Next time I write this list, Daniel will be much higher up in the list because
    he is on fire this year. Daniel is originally from Canada, ...

When he is on fire, he will collect a kick downfield and return it with interest
    with the ball in hand. So far in this Six Nations championship, ...

... She is on fire ladies and gentlemen! Oh and there she goes into a reverse swan spin and she will proceed into her triple axle, triple toe combination. ...

Women's Basketball: Unlimited Potential
    ... "When she is on fire, you really want to feed her because she's like a machine," said Bird. "When she's able to score several times in a row, .

View topic - This is a prayer for Joyce Myer
    ... Thank God there is a teacher like joyce who shows her love in and for people,and she is on fire for the lord,and the word talks about being not just a ...

... She is on fire with desire for living and loving. She's openhearted, full of joy and passion. Her way of living is an expression of reverence for ...