On foot of

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Psy577, May 12, 2010.

1. Psy577 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Hi there!

Here is a quick one. Is 'on foot of' a synonym for 'on the basis of'?

Example (talking about company reward systems):

Each point earned (by employees) determined a base-pay increase on foot of a certain coefficient.

Does it sound 'reasonable' in English?
    Cheers,
    RAf

2. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    No, sorry, Psy: "on foot of" doesn't work in English.

3. Psy577 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Uhm............

Thanks Loob,
    yet I'm sure I read it somewhere (some academic sources).

Does it exist at all then!?

4. sound shift

sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    No. It's a word-for-word translation from Italian, isn't it? It makes no sense in English.

5. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The phrase "on foot of" is not meaningful in this context sentence.
    It means following, as a consequence of, after.
    For examples, see in context.

6. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Gosh, panj, I've never come across that use of "on foot of". I see that most (all?) of the examples are from Irish sources: perhaps that will explain why:(

7. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Ditto. I've never tripped on it in AE, nor seen it in any English until I looked at panj's links. I would have thought, wrongly, that it was a translation from Italian or Spanish.

8. panjandrum

Belfast, Ireland
    Good gracious!
    I didn't notice that at all at all, but you're right, bejabers :)
    It seems entirely natural to me.

That explains why I couldn't find it in any of the usual sources.

9. Psy577 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    :) I'm glad some light was shed about this...
    And yeah, as I said, I 'tripped on it' in some academic sources... at Dublin City University! So I guess it makes sense in the end!

Thanks guys, I wont forget about the meaning of this expression from now on! :)

10. Pedro y La Torre Senior Member

Hauts-de-Seine, France
    English (Ireland)
    On foot of definitely works in Irish English. I hear (and use it) all the time. I'm pretty surprised to learn that it's not used elsewhere. "On foot of a (bench) warrant" is one instance where it's always employed. Perhaps it's something specific to the Irish legal system and has spread into other areas of life, or it might be another instance of a locution falling out of fashion in England but remaining current here.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  11. BDwolfhound New Member

English-Ireland, Britain and USA

12. BDwolfhound New Member

I would have to agree with Pedro y La Torre. "On foot of" may be an archaism, but is certainly still in use. My recollection is that it is commonly but not exclusively found in a legal context of some sort and means something like "pursuant to' or "in conformity with". The precise interpretation like so much of language is context-dependent. Alas, I have no idea of the etymology.

13. panjandrum

Belfast, Ireland
    Hello BDwolfhound - and welcome to WordReference :)

I see that the GoogleNews examples of this expression are still almost exclusively Irish.

Here is a supporting definition:
    on foot of
    Irish because of; by reason of: the decision was taken on foot of advice from the Attorney General
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/foot

14. BDwolfhound New Member

Thanks to Panjandrum (Grand, of course!) for his kind words. I was curious that "on foot of" seems to be described as Irish, so I hauled out the OED and found some hints, one being that it relates to what is written at the end or foot of a document, and the more convincing one relating to "footing" as "the footing, basis, understanding, totality of conditions or arrangements on which a matter is established", which jibes with what Psy577 said in the beginning.

The OED adds the little note "obs", and indeed we no longer use footing in that sense. It now seems to be limited to the foundations of buildings or other structures. However, it is not surprising that the usage should have persisted in legal matters, where we still find Latin and Medieval French expressions. I will consult some English lawyers of my acquaintance to see if the phrase still survives in Britain or the colonies.